You hear the same thing every day. “The board is afraid of what social media can lead to…” “the CEO thinks nobody in the industry uses social media.” How do you show them the light? Just show them the numbers.
- Seventeen percent of consumers’ PC time is spent on Facebook
- Time spent on social app (mobile) usage is up 76% over last year
- While 18-24 year olds spend the most time using social networks (11+ hours/month), 55-64 your olds still spend more than half that amount
- More than half of people aged 25-34 use social networking in the ofﬁce
- Sixty-five percent of social activities is to learn more about brands/products/services
- If that doesn’t work, point out that almost every new person in the industry is younger than your CEO or board, and most likely even younger than you. Therefore, the industry is using social media.
(stats 1-5 are from the Nielsen Social Media Report, 2012)